Originals: How Non-Conformists Move the World by Adam Grant
HD 53 .G742 2016
“In his new compelling book, Adam Grant, one of his generation’s most compelling and provocative thought leaders, again addresses the challenge of improving the world around us, but now from the perspective of becoming a trailblazer: choosing to go against the grain, battle conformity, and buck outdated traditions. How can we stand up for new ideas, policies, and practices without risking our reputations, relationships, and careers?
Using surprising studies and stories spanning the worlds of business, politics, sports, and entertainment, Grant debunks the common belief that successful non-conformists are born leaders who boldly embrace risk. Originals explains how anyone can spot opportunities for change, recognize a good idea, overcome anxiety and ambivalence, and make suggestions without being silenced. You’ll learn the successful techniques of
- An entrepreneur who pitches his startups by highlighting the reasons not to invest in them
- A woman at Apple who dared to challenge Steve Jobs from three management levels below
- An analyst who overturned the rule of secrecy at the CIA
- A billionaire financial wizard who fires employees for failing to criticize him
- A movie producer who asked a single question that saved Disney’s first animated film based on an original story from the cutting room floor
Grant demonstrates how originality can be launched, unleashed, and sustained, offering practical insights on how individuals can find allies in unlikely places, leaders can fight groupthink, and parents and teachers can nurture children to think for themselves.
The payoff is a set of groundbreaking insights about how rejecting conformity can improve our circumstances and propel us forward. People who champion originality have the same fears and doubts as the rest of us, but what sets them apart is that they don’t freeze or faint in the face of a challenge – they take action anyway. Originals will give you the knowledge and the courage to advance your own ideas.